时间: 2022-06-12 18:30:45 | 作者:晓灵书屋 | 来源: 喜蛋文章网 | 编辑: admin | 阅读: 106次
DESIDERATA
我们最需要的
【美国】麦克斯·埃尔曼 ‖ 宗石 译
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
在嘈杂和匆忙中,平静地前行吧,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
也别忘了在寂静中,能找到多好的安宁。
【法国】修拉,点彩画派的创始人及代表画家,后印象派的重要人物。
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
可以的话,尽量不放弃原则而与所有人和睦相处。
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others,
细语清晰地说出你的肺腑之言,也聆听别人的说话,
even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
别人的话纵然又枯燥又无知,总会有他们的故事。
Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit.
避开大声吵闹和好斗的人;他们是扰乱心性的人。
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter,
不要跟其他人比较,否则可能变得虚荣自负或忿忿不平,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
因为一定有人比你伟大,也一定有人比你渺小。
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
享受计划,也享受成就。
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
无论自己的事业有多卑微,维持对它的兴趣;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
在一生多变的命运中,它是你真正拥有的东西。
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery.
谨慎处理生意,因为这世界充斥着欺诈。
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
但是,不要因此而看不见人间美德;
many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.
很多人为崇高理想而奋斗,生命到处都有英勇的事迹。
Be yourself.
做你自己。
Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love;
尤其不要虚情假意。但也不要把爱视为虚伪;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
因为尽管生命有时枯燥乏味,有时令人迷醉,
it is as perennial as the grass.
爱,却如青草般日久常在。
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
不轻视因年老而获得的阅历,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
并得体地舍弃年轻时拥有的东西。
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
培育心灵上的力量,以面对突然而来的不幸。
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
但不要杞人忧天以致心神不宁。
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
众多的恐惧,源自疲乏和孤独。
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
要既不逾矩,又善待自己。
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars;
你是宇宙的孩子,身份不次于树木和星星;
you have a right to be here.
身处这里是你的权利。
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
不管你是否明白它的奥秘,毫无疑问宇宙在展现着原本应有的样貌和规律。
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.
因此,不管在你心中上帝是什么模样,和他和睦相处吧。
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
也不管你怎样劳累和胸怀大志,在生命的烦器和困惑中,要保持心灵上的安宁。
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
不管经历了多少伪善、苦役、破碎的梦,世界依然是美丽的。
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
要保持轻松开朗,努力保持快乐。
麦克斯·埃尔曼(Max Ehrmann,1872.9.16-1945.9.9),学者、诗人,出生于印第安纳州特雷霍特。1894年毕业于印第安纳州格林卡斯尔的DePauw大学,然后在哈佛大学学习法律和哲学。在当了几年律师后,埃尔曼进入了家族企业。在商界工作10年后,退休,并把所有的时间都投入到文学创作上。埃尔曼写了很多诗,但直到他去世后才为人所知,最著名的两首诗是《Desiderata》(1927)和《A Prayer》(1906)。他的遗孀Bertha Ehrmann于1951年为他写了传记。
《Desiderata》,是一首散文诗,写于1927年。传说Desiderata来自“老圣保罗教堂”,它在17世纪晚期被刻在教堂的墙上。真实的故事是,1956年至1961年担任该教会教区长的牧师Frederick Ward Kates在一本油印的小册子中使用了“Desiderata”的字眼,这本小册子是他送给教区居民阅读的。小册子的封面上写着该教堂的名字和成立年份:“Old Saint Paul 's church, Baltimore, 1692。”1927年1月3日,埃尔曼以“印第安纳州出版公司”的名义获得了“Desiderata”(当时为无标题)的联邦版权;1945年去世时,埃尔曼将版权留给了妻子Bertha Ehrmann;1954年,Bertha续签了版权;1962年去世时,Bertha将版权遗赠给了她的侄子Richmond Wight;1971年,Richmond将版权有偿转让给Robert L. Bell。
全站搜索